Thursday, 7 March 2013

Rambling Rosie

Why hello there friends!

It's probably just a little bit sad that I'm referring to complete strangers as friends, isn't it? Hmm. I may possibly be sucking up a teensy bit too seeing as it's been a scandalously long time since my last blog post. Did it work? Even a little? Sigh.




As the wind very literally pounds the window next to me and something in between rain and snow makes my dog soggy and rather fragrant, I decide to write a blog entry.  Not because I have anything significant or amusing to write about (of course not, have you met me?) but because I’m hone alone and daytime television sucks. So here we are. Really the weather outside is so overly-dramatic and, honestly, slightly scary, that I feel like this should be a well thought out and well written description of the gale-force storm dragging along the river nest to the house. But frankly I’m too tired for well written and definitely too tired for well thought out so a ramble and possible rant will just have to do. Maybe I’ll include a picture, but I doubt it.

I would apologize for my prolonged neglect of this blog but frankly I think there’s one person on the planet reading it. Hello Mos. I actually have a valid excuse for once in my life though, my trusty old Dell decided to blow up and die on me. In a foreign country no less.  So that was fun, but it DID mean that I got to invest in a shiny new and incredibly pretty Sony laptop. And frankly, you can thank the laptop for my blogging right now. It’s just SO pretty that I would spend literally all day on it and after Facebook and Twitter got boring, as they inevitably do, I remembered that I do actually have a blog and it gives me a good excuse to spend another hour with the laptop before bed, so there you go.



Now, with that fascinating sleep deprived little ramble over, I suppose I should bring you up to date.  If you read my last or second-to-last blog you’ll know that I’m at University in Scotland a fair distance away from my hometown of Cork. Much colder too. Who’d have thought though really? Both Ireland and Scotland have reputations for be exceptionally wet and cold countries but since I’ve come home for Christmas I think I’ve actually tanned. The last few weeks I spent in Scotland before coming home for Christmas were about as cold as I’ve ever lived in. Though that could have something to do with the fact that I walk everywhere here and have no Mammy making sure I dress sensibly. Maybe. Just maybe. But to be fair, it’s been freezing. There was snow on the ground constantly and the loch froze over one day and just never thawed. Don’t get me wrong! I love snow. It’s pretty and sparkly and it completely transforms any view. Makes everything look so clean! But once it’s been on the ground a few days its starts to get dirty and melty and what no one ever mentions in songs and poetry is that snow is WET and COLD and you go through about three of pairs of socks a day. And there’s something absolutely heartbreaking about walking through fresh snow in the sun, on your way to an exam. The most mixed emotions ever I think xD but in all seriousness it was definitely a new experience living in that kind of weather and hopefully I’ll be better prepared for next winter now.

So I left sunny Scotland about mid December after my exams and headed homeward. I don’t think anyone has ever appreciated home properly until they’re a university student coming home after a long stint away. Home has never seemed so perfect. Always warm, with an open fire and a dog who’s perpetually thrilled to see you even if you left the room a minute earlier. And the FOOD. Oh my. I really had missed my mother’s cooking. Christmas was about as wonderful and magical as it was as a small child, just because I think I appreciated it properly. It was also noticeably warmer in the sunny south of Ireland than Scotland which was certainly a welcome change. Caught up with some friends and the entire family which was fantastic.

Now is probably as good a time as any to point out in case you hadn’t already noticed that the first half of this post was written back in Ireland in January, whereas it’s not early March and I’m back in my cosy little Uni room. No particular reason for this. No excuse. I probably either fell asleep or just got bored. I have an exceptional attention span, it’s so handy. So here I am on quite a misty Scottish Thursday morning sitting at my desk watching some slightly damp and hungover students wander past my window in the fog, whilst I’m cuddled up to my radiator. It’s surprisingly satisfying sctyally. Does that make me sadistic? Oh dear.

Anyway that’s about all for my completely random and pointless ramble. I have to go write an essay about sex now. I know. That’s what I thought!  Happy Thursday everyone!
Rosie

2 comments: